The Croydon Mountaineering Club (CMC) takes your privacy seriously. We are a ‘controller’ of the personal information that you provide to us and this privacy statement sets out how, why and for how long we will use your personal data, as well as whom it is shared with. It also explains your legal rights as a data subject and howto exercise them.
With the coming into effect of the EU’s new data protection regulations, GDPR, it is now a requirement that we keep a record of your having given us permission to hold and use your data. This permission is implicit in your membership of the club, but as explained below, you can amend your preferences as to the data we hold and how we use it by contacting us at any time.
When you join the CMC, you are asked to provide your name, address, email address, telephone number and an emergency contact, as well as to declare any medical conditions. It may affect our ability to offer you our membership services and benefits if you do not provide all of the personal information that we need.
What we do with your personal information
Your name, address, email address and telephone number are recorded on a password protected spreadsheet and shared amongst club members for the purposes of organising trips and club activities. Email addresses are particularly useful in this regard, so please bear this in mind if reconsidering the information you consent to share.
Details of your emergency contact and medical conditions are only made available to meet leaders, and only then in the event of an emergency via a sealed envelope in the meet leader pack to be opened only in such an event. It is a condition of attending meets that you allow this use of your personal information. You can still ask us to erase the information, or withhold it from meet leaders, but you will no longer be able to attend meets.
By joining the club, you also accept to receive the club’s monthly newsletter, which is used to keep members up to date with meets and club news. Members who attend meets contribute accounts and photographs to the meet report, which is published in the newsletter and shared amongst members only. Your name and photographs of you may appear in this publication.
Why we need your personal information
We collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your relationship with us and in pursuit of our legitimate interests. We therefore may use this information to:
- provide you with core member services, including confirmation of membership, membership card and end of year renewal;
- organise club activities and manage risk and safety if you attend an indoor or outdoor meet;
- register your membership with the British Mountaineering Council (BMC), to provide you with insurance cover, magazine subscription and other benefits they offer to members of clubs, including access to courses and competitions;
- provide you with news / updates of club activities, opportunities to get involved in club meets, training, general meetings or other events;
- raise awareness of the club’s activities by capturing photos, videos, or live streaming at events. We will use this for promotion, education and development purposes;
- respond to and investigate your questions, comments, support needs, complaints, concerns or allegations.
Who we share your personal information with
When we register your membership with the BMC, we pass on your personal data and the BMC becomes a controller of your personal data. The BMC provides full details of how it uses your personal data in its own privacy notice (https://www.thebmc.co.uk/privacy) and will not use it for any other purpose.
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities to comply with statutory obligations. We may also share personal information with professional and legal advisors for the purpose of obtaining advice.
The CMC does not currently use any third-party suppliers that would be required to process its members’ personal data. From time to time, however, the CMC may offer instruction or training through third-party providers; on such occasions, you will be informed and we may pass on your personal information for appropriate use by the third-party provider.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is accessed by our committee and/or Meet Leaders only for the purposes set out above. It is stored by the club in electronic form, with a password-protected spreadsheet containing names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses being circulated amongst members. Emergency contact details and details of medical conditions are maintained separately in electronic form, with an up-to-date hard copy being stored in a sealed envelope in the meet leader pack. Computer files are password protected and members are asked not to print off member contact details. Your personal data is transferred to the BMC by inputting it directly into a password-protected database or emailing it via a password-protected spreadsheet.
How long we store your data
We will only store the details discussed above whilst you are a member of the club. Should you decide not to renew your membership in the future, we will remove your details from our records within one year.
You have a right to
- change your communication preferences or restrict the processing of your personal data for specific purposes;
- request that we correct your personal data if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- request that we delete your personal information;
- access the personal data that we hold about you through a ‘subject access request’.
You can contact us at email@example.com
If you are dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk.